mardi 19 février 2008

Wisdom is relative.


Monday is D-day here in Cochin, for me any way. The main excuse to come to India has always
been to visit a dentist who is professional, serious, thorough and who`s first interest is not his bank account and new 4x4 BMW. This person is perhaps to be found in Brittany but as yet I have not had that luck. Treatment seems to be based on getting you out of there with the max bill for min treatment, I have not once had a dentist in France propose a deep cleaning every year, a long term plan or take the time to explain risks, options etc. My last bridge of 2 teeth lasted a total of 3 years for an investment of several thousand euros......end of rant.
I arrived at the Quality Dental Clinic and despite trepidation at the state of the road under repair, as soon as I entered the Air-conditioned reception I felt at ease. the receptionist in beautiful sari, put on the big screen TV and gave me the tele-command (sorry remote control). Dr. Prasanth arrived 5 mins later, a dapper moustached gent, mid-thirties, with bedside manner oozing from every pore. He proceeded with a thorough examination and we got down to treatment options. What he discovered was that I had an `impacted` wisdom tooth lying horizontally against my last molar, the one supporting the future bridge. It needs to come out before any other work is done. Now I had a Quote and x-ray in Plaintel for 2500 euros for 3 units and the subject of the wisdom tooth was never even mentioned WHY WAS THIS?
So I have no more wisdom tooth after a surgeon came the same afternoon and had a jaw-wrestling match that he won, I will have 3 root canals, a bridge of 4 units (teeth), A special crown to replace the tooth that anchors my plate (TMI too much information?), in all 3 weeks of treatment for.................750 euros. He called me this morning on my mobile to see how I felt!!!
cant imagine Plaintel doing that.

5 commentaires:

Rosie a dit…

just think, now you have decided to stop eating meat, you will be able to at last...

kool drum a dit…

stop cooking extravagant sauces, marinating exquisit steaks, stewing long lusious winter potages on the woodstove. it is not without some trepidation that I will try tyhis. there is also the climatic factor. heat naturally induces one to consumejuicy fruit n veg.

Rob Windstrel Watson a dit…

Thanks for the info.

My wife is discussing implants with her private UK dentist, cost about £7,000.

I've forwarded the URL of your post to her.

kool drum a dit…

Hi, Rob.I can give you contact details, just ask. I do know, however that you have to wait at LEAST 4 months after the support posts are implanted before you attach the teeth themselves so either 2 visits and the consequent costs of travel, accomodation, visas etc. Or have the implants done there and get the teeth here.
If money is no object (sounds OK?) I would choose the first, you would probably still gain and 2 trips to discover God`s own country.

Rob Windstrel Watson a dit…

Thanks for the extra info.

Initial response wasn't good from my wife who seems to think it's better to pay more because it will get a better service.

She has the same attitude towards dresses :-)

Perhaps, after she has had time to think about it...