mardi 19 février 2008

Kerala at last

I finally dragged myself from my litte slice of paradise, after visiting Palolem beach I wonder how much time is left before Agonda joins its sister beach and becomes the hut-sprawl, vendor saturated spot that it is. Agonda is still a community, village with locals out-numbering visitors, mostly called Fernandez it seems.
16 hours of train journey which I shared with a Goan basketball team, all considerably shorter than me, and I arrived in Ernakulam, part of the greater Cochin agglomeration. A transport strike ensured a sweaty wait then sweaty walk in search of a tuc-tuc, found after 1/2 hour and shared with a couple of Israeli tourists braving the world outside their 5* air-conditioned hotel.
I took a walk to the chineese nets, first installed in the 16th century and a big tourist draw, cameras at the ready, snap, move on. As I sat gawking as usual the fishermen on the nearest machine invited me to come and try my hand, just pull on a rope really. I stayed for an hour chatting about our respective lives families, names....incomes. they dont make more than a euro a day and depend on volonteer helpers for a small donation, which they got and richly deserved.
Sorry, no fotos this time as no compatible driver.

Aucun commentaire: